Descriptive Reflection (Formal Introductory Letter)

 



Dear Professor Blackstone,

I am Chai Qi Xuan, a year one engineering student under your tutelage in your Critical Thinking and Communicating class. I am writing this letter to give you an introduction of myself, as well as share some goals I want to achieve from this module.

Prior to my military service, I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in Experience and Product Design. The passion I have for cars has been unwavering since I was five, driving me to aspire to be a car designer. One such example of an inspiration to my liking in cars is VisionGT, where manufacturers all over the world come together with racing game creators Polyphony Digital, to create what cars would look like in the future. Recognizing the importance of engineering fundamentals for an industrial designer, I enrolled in this course to complement my design skills.

My communication strength is my ability to easily interact with diverse groups. During my polytechnic days as a design student, numerous group projects exposed me to collaborate with various individuals, ranging from very close buddies to others with whom I had never interacted before. This experience has allowed me to transition from a reserved individual to a more outgoing person who values making connections with newer people to work with.

 However, I acknowledge some communication weaknesses, the biggest being very nervous when addressing large audiences. The anxiety has led me to occasional stuttering and forgetfulness during presentations. I had instances in the last trimester, where I resorted to looking at my phone to read scripts, as I kept forgetting lines. I yearn to overcome this flaw by the end of my university journey.

I do have some goals that I would want to achieve during the weeks that I have had in this module. I want to boost my confidence in public speaking and would like to collaborate with new peers whom I have not interacted with before. My interest in graphic design sets me apart from the rest of the students. During my free time, I would usually create some designs and artwork, and post them on social media for fun.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and I eagerly anticipate our upcoming classes for the next few weeks.

Best Regards,

Qi Xuan



Comments

  1. Solid introduction dude, just wanted to point out some stuff i noticed. "introduction to myself" -> "introduction of myself" and "The passion I had for cars" -> "The passion I have for cars"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback! Much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Hi Qi Xuan, good introduction and I really enjoy reading it. But I feel weird when you talking about your interest right after your goals in this module, and I feel it will be better if you separate it from the paragraph. Overall, it is smooth and comforting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Qi Xuan!
    Thank you for your thoughtful letter introducing yourself and sharing your goals for the Critical Thinking and Communicating class. Your introduction is clear and provides a good overview of your educational background and passion for car design. Your acknowledgment of communication strengths and weaknesses demonstrates self-awareness. Your commitment to overcoming nervousness and enhancing public speaking skills is commendable. When discussing your goals, consider outlining specific actions you plan to take to boost confidence in public speaking and collaborate with new peers. Once again, I want to thank you for sharing your story with us and I look forward to an enriching learning experience in our upcoming classes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! It is great knowing more about you and it was an amazing read but the line where you stated "the biggest being very nervous..." feels a little off, I feel it would be more smooth if you changed it to "being that I'm very nervous..." Other than that, it's a good letter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Qi Xuan,

    Thank you for this detailed and informative letter. In it you address the assignment's key areas and embellish the discussion with interesting references points. For example, you deep dive into two areas of interest, cars and design. I applaud your effort at giving us readers a sense of what makes you unique, but I'd like to see some mention of a car design that has inspired you.

    Language-wise, this post is quite well presented. There is, however, one sentence that needs review: "I want to boost my confidence in public speaking as well as wanting to collaborate with new peers." Do you see the issue here?

    I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the issue that you have pointed out about the sentence. It does not seem to be as fluent as I thought it was the more I read it. Thank you for the feedback, and I will try to rectify both the language aspect as well as content-wise.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts